Be a Voice for the LGBTQ+ Community in Houston and Beyond!
SEEKING: CHairs + Volunteers
Pride Houston is very excited to announce that its Philanthropy Department is seeking chairs and volunteers. When you join our Philanthropy Department as a chair or volunteer, you gain a voice. You get to decide and develop relationships and partnerships that will represent your community. You also get to support the operations of this over 40-plus year old beloved organization. That means you directly impact the community as well as the professional development and personal growth of your team.
The purpose of the Philanthropy Department is to develop and implement funding plans and strategies to assure the fiscal health of the organization. Our Philanthropy Director sits on the board of the organization. The chairs and staff of the Philanthropy Department serve as volunteers who take on the responsibility of ensuring that the organization is fully funded for the annual budget approved by the board under the leadership of the Director.
Pride Houston has openings for four chair leadership positions within the Philanthropy Department and an unlimited number of openings for volunteer staff in the department. The chairs will be members of Pride Houston’s Production Team, governed by the organizational by-laws, required to attend monthly Production Team meetings as well as committee meetings and report to the Philanthropy Director and Executive Director (ED). These are fast-paced yet rewarding roles that require creativity, excellent time-management skills and prompt responses. The chair positions are 100% volunteer, non-paid positions except for Grants. The Grants Chair and/or volunteers will receive incentive compensation. Each chair will be charged with staffing and managing a team of volunteers for their committee. If you’re interested in leading or joining our Philanthropy Department to promote a positive image of Pride Houston, we would like to meet you. Please review qualifications and email resume and interest to email@example.com.
Open Philanthropy Positions:
- Sponsorship Chair & Committee Volunteers: This committee is responsible for implementation of annual sponsorship campaigns as well as maintaining relationships with existing sponsors throughout the year.
- Fundraising Chair & Committee Volunteers: This committee will be responsible for raising capital through campaigns, event(s) and/or any other way the committee sees beneficial necessary to fulfill certain purposes of the organization.
- Donations Chair & Committee Volunteers: This committee will be responsible for taking the lead in fostering the community relationships to support the Pride Donor program with monthly and annual donations.
- Grants Chair & Committee Volunteers: This committee is responsible for finding and applying for any and all grant opportunities that will benefit the organization.
General Requirements for all Philanthropy Chair positions:
- Report directly to the Philanthropy and Executive Director.
- Staff and manage their committees.
- Know and adhere to the organization’s mission.
- Liaise with Marketing, Communications, Outreach and Special Events as needed.
- Possess knowledge of the LGBTQIA+ community and market.
- Be proficient with measuring and reaching income goals.
- Be proficient with MS Office Word, Excel and Google Suite.
- Possess excellent customer service and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Recruit, train and lead a volunteer team dedicated to executing the responsibilities of the committee.
- Devote at least 7 hours weekly to chair responsibilities.
- Work independently and establish priorities.
Sponsorship Chair and Committee:
The Sponsorship Chair leads, staffs and manages the Sponsorship Committee within the Philanthropy Department. This committee is responsible for implementation of annual sponsorship opportunities as well as maintaining relationships with the existing sponsors throughout the year. This committee will maintain a target list of companies. In addition, they will track commitments, issue updated reports, issue and follow up on invoices, letters and other collateral material as well as provide updates to the Philanthropy Director, Treasurer and Executive Director on projected revenue. This is a VOLUNTEER role which is a non-salaried position.
- Report on all sponsorship matters and annual targets set by the Philanthropy Director and Board
- Produce a monthly update of positions
- Build long term relationships with sponsors
- Create a target list of potential sponsors and maintains a current list of secured sponsors
- Work with Marketing to create collateral and branding for each sponsor
- Liaise with other departments as needed to ensure sponsorship obligations are met
- Ensure sponsor logos are represented at every organization opportunity and presentation
- Gather sponsor feedback
- Review all packages with sponsors after events to ensure client satisfaction
- Attend events and promote sponsorship opportunities to everyone/everywhere
- Produce letters of agreement and send to sponsors
- Produce and deliver invoices to sponsors
- Provide all necessary information to Pride Houston Treasurer
Fundraising Chair and Committee:
The Fundraising Chair leads, staffs and manages the Fundraising Committee within the Philanthropy Department. The committee has the ultimate responsibility of creating impressive and rewarding events and other campaigns that will generate funds to help the organization grow. The enthusiastic chair will be organized, committed and play close attention to detail. This is a VOLUNTEER role which is a non-salaried position.
- Maintain an ongoing pipeline of potential donors and fundraising information sources.
- Identify new donor bases and coordinate solicitation of funds.
- Create and implement fundraising ideas with low start-up expenses and high revenue return.
- Determine the financial needs for the secondary missions of Pride Houston as defined by the Outreach committee such as Scholarships, Pride University, Pride Junior Board, World Pride and/or other conference bids.
- Inform the organization of all planned initiatives so that the organization can support.
- Motivate and inspire all community networks to promote and participate in fundraising events and campaigns.
- Liaise with other internal departments as needed.
- Develop creative initiatives to accomplish fundraising targets including a year-round fundraising plan.
- Build confidence and a strong working relationship between the community and Pride Houston.
Donation Chair and Committee:
The Donation Chair leads, staffs and manages the Donation Committee within the Philanthropy Department. The Donation Committee is responsible for gathering financial support from the local community. This is a grassroots committee that requires building relationships with local business and individual donors. This is a VOLUNTEER role which is a non-salaried position.
- Implement strategies to develop grassroots relationships with small, individual local donors.
- Maintain a roster of donors and create campaigns to encourage repeat donations throughout the year.
- Secure exchange in kind donations such as food, catering services, hotel accomodations, airline tickets, etc. from local and regional businesses to support raffles, events and silent auctions.
- Identify and secure new donation opportunities.
- Identifying and cultivating potential major gift prospects in the community.
- Engage community supporters through follow-up campaigns, communication and initiatives (such thank you for your support and/or here is how your donation was used)
- Implement creative ways to garner donations.
Grants Chair and Committee:
The Grants Chair leads, staffs and manages the Grant Committee within the Philanthropy Department. The Grants Committee primarily seeks out and applies for one-time or annual grants from external agencies. This position receives incentive compensation.
- Possess 2+ years of grant writing experience.
- Identify and research grant funding opportunities
- Write, submit and manage grant proposals.
- Maintain proficient knowledge of organization’s history and programs.
- Furnish prospective funders with supporting documents.
- Report on all opportunities applied for and status.
- Maintain records through Pride Houston and external grant agency databases.
- Cultivate on-going relationships with grant foundations.
- Track and maintain all records regarding incentive compensation in coordination with the Treasurer.
- Build and cultivate relationships with local, state and federal appointed and elected officials
- Cultivate and secure local, state and federal grants and other additional government funding.