Artist Open Call
Pride Houston Art Program
Pride Houston is debuting a brand new art-focused component to the organization’s operations, the Pride Houston Art Program. The priority of this program is to highlight Houston-based LGBTQ+ artists and elevate their talent/careers beyond the local level to the national and international level.
Pride Houston is looking to identify five Houston-based artists to feature at Houston City Hall during the duration of Pride Month (June). These artists would be recognized at City Hall during a reception in their honor and be awarded an honorarium of $1,000 at the reception for their participation in the Pride Houston Art Program.
Art Program Guidelines
The Pride Houston Art Program will serve to extend an inviting arm to all LGBTQ+ artists in the City of Houston and provide a platform for them to tell their story of pride through their respective medium and method of creating art.
Artists will be asked to submit an art proposal for new or existing artwork(s) – 2D art that can hang on an easel or ready to install art to fit inside City Hall (see photos of space as well as examples of past installations):
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT
- Artists will be asked to provide an Art Proposal statement to accompany any photos or supplemental documents (at least one but up to three max) that discusses their work and talks about how the artwork resonates with Houston, Pride Celebrations & the LGBTQ+ Community.
- Artists are also asked to include a short biography that discusses their artistic background and also a Resume/CV that showcases their artistic experience and community involvement.
- Finally, we ask all artists to answer the question of what community means to them. As this is an LGBTQ+ aligned program we would like to get to know you a little better and know how the community has impacted your life and your artistic career.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: MARCH 24 @ MIDNIGHT
Pride Houston has identified a panel of experts to assist in the scoring of all submissions. The selection committee will consist of artists, curators and members of the LGBTQ+ community. The committee will review all applications and score the work on a 50 point scale with up to 30 points for the Art Proposal and supplemental document, 10 Points for Community Involvement and 10 points for Artistic Merit. The top five artists identified will be submitted to the Board of Directors of Pride Houston for final approval. The approved/selected artists will be notified in April of their award.
If selected, artists are required to be available to install the artwork on their own at City Hall the week prior to June 1 in coordination with Pride Houston and also take down their artwork on July 1 from City Hall. Reminder: submissions can be existing work or newly created work.
- – Have strong ties to the LGBTQ+ community
- – Reside in the City of Houston
- – Must be at least 18 years of age
- – Submit all required documents. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Only one proposal per artists will be accepted.
For any questions, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org