Welcome to Queer•ish Episode 1!
We hope to bring you a LiveCast every month where we tell you a little bit about ourselves, give you some updates on Pride Happenings and even dive in deeply to some of the things that are impacting our community. Each episode will feature expert guests, a live Q&A, and a little tea-and-tell with The Lo-Down!
Episode 1 Synopsis: Lo’s guests are Councilmember Kamin and Dr. Natalie Vanek, MD. Discussions include COVID-19, police brutality, and more, and how these affect the Houston LGBTQ+ community and beyond.
Abbie Kamin is proud to be a fourth generation District C resident. Born and raised in Houston, Council Member Kamin was part of the first graduating class of The Emery/Weiner School, going on to Tulane University and American University’s Washington College of Law where she focused on government administration and civil rights. Prior to being elected to Houston City Council in 2019, Council Member Kamin advocated for our community at every level of government. As the Associate Regional Director of the Anti-Defamation League’s Southwest Regional Office, she oversaw the region’s civil rights programming, community partnerships, and incidents of hate reported by constituents. As the Committee Director and Clerk for the Texas House Human Services Committee, she fought for solutions to Texas’ foster care crisis. The Council Member also served as a member of the Mayor’s Commission Against Gun Violence, drafting proposals that focus on what the city can do immediately to ensure our community and schools are safe. Council Member Kamin Chairs the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee and is Vice Chair of the Quality of Life Committee.
Council Member Abbie Kamin
City Hall Annex | 900 Bagby, First Floor | Houston, TX 77002 | Phone: 832.393.3004 | E-Mail: email@example.com
Dr. Natalie Vanek, MD is a Infectious Disease Specialist in Houston, TX and has over 29 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from University Of Texas Medical School At Houston medical school in 1991. Dr. Vanek’s primary service is in: Adult Primary Care/Internal Medicine, Gender Health and Wellness, HIV/STD Screening & Treatment, LGBT Services Her areas of interest are in: Gender care, HIV/AIDS treatment, HIV/STD screening and prevention, Internal medicine, nPEP, PrEP, STD screening and treatment, STI screening and treatment, Transgender specialty care, Vaccinations and immunizations
Episode 1 Resources and Links
- Register to Vote: https://www.votetexas.gov/register/index.html
- Check to see if you are registered to vote: https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do
- Harris County Clerk Voting: https://www.harrisvotes.com/
- Voting by mail: https://www.harrisvotes.com/VotingInfo?lang=en-US#VoteByMail
- The NAMI HelpLine | Monday through Friday, 10 am–6 pm, ET. |1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or firstname.lastname@example.org | Or text NAMI to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline | Available 24 hours |English, Spanish | 1-800-273-8255
- The trevor project : Our trained counselors are here to support you 24/7. If you are a young person in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgment-free place to talk, call the TrevorLifeline now at 1-866-488-7386.
Houston LGBTQIA switchboard:
- Houston LGBTQIA 24 Hr Helpline
- Depression / Suicide / Crisis Intervention
- Domestic Violence Help & Shelter
- Sexual Assault & Hate Crimes Support
- Addiction Support & Treatment*
- HIV & STD Information*
- LGBT-affirming Resources*
- Community Events & Visitor Information*
CRISIS HOTLINES & resources:
- NO COVID ABUSE (Domestic Violence and child abuse) | nocovidabuse.org
- Houston Area Women’s Center Domestic Violence Hotline: (24/7, free and confidential) | HOTLINE: 713-528-2121 TTY: 713-528-3625
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: (24/7, free and confidential) |1-800-799-7233
- Small Houston local biz. Grants up to 50k. cityofHouston-sberp.org
- individuals: houstonrentassistance.org