Volunteer (Non-Paid) Board Secretary
Be the Change!
Pride Houston, Inc. is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that supports, educates and promotes the LGBTQIA+ community in order to commemorate our history and advocate our rights for current and future generations by producing Pride events that represent our diverse community in the greater Houston area. The Board Secretary gives notice of all meetings of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, keeps an accurate list of the Directors, and has the authority to certify any records, or copies of records, as the official records of the organization. Do you like to organize tasks, records, and coordinate meetings? This is great opportunity! The Board Secretary attends board meetings, take minutes, upload files to central cloud storage, track required reporting, and assist with communications to the Board members.
Prepare meeting agendas alongside the Board President and distribute them prior to the meetings
Record and maintain detailed minutes of the Board of Directors’ meetings and all committee meetings and distribute them promptly after the meetings
Maintain and organize all of the organization’s records including Bylaws and other legal records
With approval of the Board of Directors, set up procedures for elections and record votes
Give all notices as provided in the Bylaws or as required by law
Update lists of Board Members, Officers, Council Members, Committee Members, and all other volunteers
Responsible for coordination of the corporation’s insurance policy unless delegated to another director
Keep a register of the mailing address of each director, officer and staff member of the organization.
Participate in fundraising activities and support funding development initiatives (no personal investment required beyond membership dues and events attendance)
Perform other duties as assigned by the President and/or the Board of Directors
- Experience: Executive Administrative Assistant, Nonprofit Secretary or equivalent – 5 years
- Education: Bachelor’s (Required)
- Prior Executive Leadership and Board service experience
- A demonstrated passion for LGBTQ+ community outreach, advocacy, and service
- Exemplary organizational and record-keeping ability
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop a professional staff
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite
- Exemplary time-management skills to successfully achieve outcomes while remaining highly responsive to the demands of the job
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Board Member General Responsibilities
May include some of the following in addition to specific role
- The board evaluates itself and the organization, ensures financial and program accountability and transparency, includes reviews effectiveness of programs; mandates needs assessment of constituency every few years, sets meeting agendas, creates necessary committees, keeps minutes, and recruits effective members.
- Creates the mission and vision, sets goals and objectives, develops a strategic plan and fashions organizational procedures)
Oversee use of resources
- Ensures sufficient funds are raised (includes marketing and public relations) and spent appropriately..
- Conflicts, insurance, file required papers and act as a trustee/fiduciary; creates and abides by the bylaws.
Type of role: Volunteer
Reports To: Board President
Send inquiries to email@example.com